10 April 2009

Ups & Downs

What else could “Ups & Downs” be referring to other than PuG’s?  Ok, fine, probably quite a bit, but stick with me here…  And ignore the Ogre

So last night we started to focus on doing a couple heroics.  Main point is to pick up some Emblems to get some shoulders for some alts.  Since it was a weekday, we didn’t have enough 80 guildies to run them, but we were able to PuG out 2 spots to fill the group.  The first 2 instances were fine and our guildie picked up a couple upgrades.  We then tried the 3rd instance (HoL – daily Heroic) and had a diff group for it.

Now normally I’m cool with moving fast through an instance and chain-pulling so long as everyone is ready and good to go.  In fact, by the end we picked up a few achievements.  So that certainly proves the group was capable of going that fast.  But you know what annoyed me about the run?  The tank and PuG DPS didn’t bother to check if people were ready.  So even when the healer was sitting down drinking, the tank would go “r?” and immediately run down the steps, around a corner, and start hitting things.

I must say that I did laugh when 2 of the DPS wound up dead from doing that, but it immediately frustrated me when 5 seconds after being rezzed (not even with full health yet), they ran in to do it again.  Maybe I don’t understand how the mechanics work, but if someone rezzes you… they need to get mana back before moving on?  Especially if they had to rez multiple people…

But whatever, I can get over that.  I mean, it’s a PuG.  People are annoying and stupid because they don’t have any courtesy or respect online and you may never see them again so who cares.  However, on the final boss fight, the healer and I both die literally 5 seconds before the end of the fight.  The other 3 loot, and run off towards Dalaran.  Now, I can kinda understand the two Warriors just being annoying and not waiting to loot since they can’t rez anyone.  But the Shammy just running off?  Howabout a damn rez you piece of [insert expletive].   We were the ones who organized the run, the healer has already rezzed you multiple times, and you just run off after the final boss fight?  So after I recover from my shock at the audacity, I say “rez please?” and he does run back to rez us.  Kudos for at least fixing your mistake.

Maybe it’s because hunters need to have great situational awareness (need to know and handle melee and ranged mechanics at the same time, and be on the lookout for additional situations that might require them to save the day), but did they not realize that the healer and a DPS were dead?  Did the Shammy not know he could rez people?  Or do they just not care?  Oh well, let me pass along some guidelines so you do not wind up like those guys:

 1 – Don’t start fighting unless everyone is actually ready
 2 – Don’t line of sight your healer unless by pure accident, or necessary (such as pulling over a trap)
 3 – Rez people before moving on – even if moving on means hearthing because the instance is done
 4 – Don’t loot until everyone is rezzed
 5 – If you’re a DPS and you run around a corner, LoS your healer, and die – it’s your fault.  Don’t make the same mistake twice in a row
 6 – Say “thx” or something to that effect when rezzed.  After all, they could have made you run back.
 7 – Play nice!  Just because it’s a PuG doesn’t mean you should interact any differently than you would in person
 8 – Just because you can go that fast, doesn’t mean everyone wants to
 9 – Don’t tell people how to play their class if it is different from yours – chances are they’re better at it than you (yes, the warrior tried telling the druid how to heal) – especially when you’re giving bad advice
 10 – Live, learn, get over it.  It was just a PuG and you got what you wanted out of it… Emblems.

/steps off his soapbox…

2 comments:

Kanti said...

Being a Balance Druid that throws heals (waitwhut?) I am in a completely different position. I get invites before people ask me my spec. When I say balance there is usually a pause and either they say nevermind or ask me to go anyway.

As for moving fast, I have let the tank die before. When called on it my only statement is "Ran off without your healer did ya? Well you wont be doing that again now will you?" and other such snark. If someone does something monumentally stupid and should clearly know better I call them on it. Otherwise I say nothing.

I do not PUG, I play with people I know. It limits what I can do but I have had some rotten PUG experiences. I think your guidelines would be useful for everyone. Especially people that have been running things over and over and sometimes forget the basics.

-Kanti

Xanther said...

Yeah, letting them die works sometimes. Other times it makes them annoyed at you and such. Tough balance to achieve. That's why I try not to PuG often - I'd rather run w/ friends if at all possible.