14 September 2009

Musings

Random thought – I think we should have “I’m not having a baby” party…  Everyone can get my wife and I tools and cool gadgets.

Ok, so it’s not quite random, it comes from the fact that a coworker is having a baby shower.  I mean, it makes sense – they’re newlyweds, having their first child, so yes a baby shower is nice.  Everyone gets them something that helps build the stock of essential items for having a baby around the house.  I’m totally cool with that.

I just think that if people are going to give you free stuff, and the government is going to give you a tax deduction just because you don’t know how to use birth control or choose not to use it…  Then why not give free stuff to those of us who choose not to have kids?  Heck, if the average couple has 2.5 kids (aka 2.5 baby showers), then give me 2.5 parties.  I’ll even space them out over a ~5 year span.  Totally equalize the playing field here.  Let people choose what their 2.5 parties are going to be for – a baby, or just for the hell of it.

Of course, this comes from the person who could care less about his own birthday, lol.

Don’t get me wrong – I like kids.  I enjoy my nephew.  I just don’t want any of my own at the moment or in the near future.  This also goes along the lines of thought that sometimes I think it would be better for the human race if we had to do something to have kids, not have to do something to not have kids.  Or how I sometimes think we need lifeguards in that whole gene pool…

No comments: