02 March 2009

Is it the playa or the lewt?

People often times go crazy over loot with the “I have to have that piece of gear!” or “We have to run X instance so I can get Y from Z boss!”.  Personally?  I just run whatever instance because someone wanted to run it.  Why?  Because I don’t believe it’s all about the gear.

Now after saying that, I obviously will fill you in on why I say that.  Let me put it this way… I’ve done countless raids where I have been under geared compared to the rest of the people in the raid.  (yes, even comparing against other hunters in the group, so this is not even a ‘hunters are better than other classes’ type of thing).  However, I consistently crank out more DPS than them.  Similarly, Lady X has been under geared as a healer, but done a better job than the rest of the healers.

So then you have to ask the question – why?  I think it’s simply because we’ve taken the time to learn our characters.  We’ve chosen to research the nuances of our class’ abilities, learned from others, and tested different things so that we can maximize our DPS/Heals in relation to our gear.  Thus those people we ran with could have been doing better than us – they just chose not to put effort into learning how.  That also means that we could do better if we had better gear.  Thus you can understand why I’m so essited at mai phat lewtz from yesterday…  Heroes’ Cryptstalker Handguards and Heroes’ Cryptstalker Tunic!  Aside from the other bonuses of stats – my pet now does 5% more dmg too.  Mmmmm…..  Dee Pee Ess!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wholy agree with this. The gear certainly helps, but, if you have your shot rotation down, if you have your moves down, you can indeed pump out the dps comparable to a well geared hunter.

I often get the cold shoulder when I ask if a healer has pets on their healbot. But the reason I do this is so that I can prepare to call my pet back to passive to heal so that, even though they don't do as much damage as survival, they can stay in longer and do damage.

I also love the process of trap dancing for added dps. While it takes mere moments away from your shot rotation, you can still get in an explosive shot and aimed shot on the way to lay the trap.