27 February 2009

Us vs. Them

I’ve always been an Alliance type, myself.  Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3… Always played Alliance side until I beat it a time or two, then I tried the Horde.  I just never had as much fun on that side, even though they always seemed OP compared with the Alliance.  It has just always felt like Bliz spent more time designing and working on the Horde.  I mean, “For the Horde!” just sounds cooler than “Glory to the Alliance!”.

Thus it wasn’t surprising that my first few chars were Alliance, and that I only play my horde on occasion – like for a holiday that I want to try getting some random achievements on them.  Was I surprised that the Alliance typically lose BG’s against Horde?  Nope.  However, I think that has more to do with the players than Bliz.  The Horde does seem to have a mentality of “For the Horde!”  Consistently, I see an epic battle between 1 Alliance and 1 Horde.  Another Horde passes by and helps finish off the Alliance before moving on.  Same situation, an Alliance comes riding by…  and they ride by.  I mean, it’s about the Glory!  Go down by yourself in the middle of nowhere, triple-teamed by the Horde, but there’s glory in it!

Well, that and it seems the Horde is made up of people of all levels of maturity.  Alliance?  Very mature, and very immature.  You do get the occasional nice, thoughtful person that comes and helps out.  However, more often than not, you get the 12yo who says “I’ll pay you 5g to dance naked.”

Of course, this could be partly because I rarely play my Horde, so I just don’t see it as much.  So yes, not much point to this post because, well, I’ve always been Alliance at heart and always will be.  Even if it means  playing in BG’s with 12yo’s against a well coordinated machine of destruction.

Though I do have to ask – why does it seem that the Horde only need 2 siege weapons and 15 seconds to finish the final door in Wintergrasp when it takes the Alliance 6 siege weapons, 2 minutes, and we still can’t do it?

2 comments:

Andy / Jawsome said...

Horde = Blizzard's favorite child. -_- I am alliance also and, a lot of horde QQ just like us. However it sure seems they are so much more coordinated in WG. I think they have this built in scrolling strategy and they all listen, follow, and dont just pull an alliance and farm hk's or something.

Xanther said...

Agreed. I've only won ~2 WG's or so, and that was when we had a pre-made. It seems they have better coordination, which may be due to the people or just that they've had practice, lol.

Welcome to my blog btw!